If you would like to learn more about the Religious Society of Friends and other Quaker organizations – including our regional affiliates, Pacific Yearly Meeting and College Park Quarterly Meeting – here are some helpful online resources:
OnLINE Fellowship and Silent Worship
- Quaker Worship, Bible study, and fellowship online; multiple times and days — a very comprehensive list: https://westernfriend.org/quaker-worship-and-fellowship-online
- Online daily morning Silent Worship via Zoom: http://www.quakercenter.org/programs/meeting-for-worship/
- Online mid-week evening Silent Worship via Zoom: https://www.pacificyearlymeeting.org/2018/2018-events/invitation-to-a-weekly-online-worship/
- Virtual Witness Wednesday Evening silent reflection via Zoom with the Friends Committee on National Legislation
Podcasts, Video Blogs, AND Educational Materials
- Thee Quaker Podcast – sharing Quaker stories that explore themes of faith, conviction, and doubt.
- QuakerSpeak – a Quaker video project by Friends Journal
- Quakerism 101, a curriculum developed by the Chapel Hill Friends of North Carolina. Reno Friends Meeting has used this curriculum for our “Quakerism 101” discussion series.
- Pendle Hill Reading Group – via Zoom; group discusses a Pendle Hill pamphlet or other Quaker reading. Discussion is in the manner of worship sharing. Pre-registration required.
Publishers, Journals, ANd Magazines
- Western Friend – web site for the magazine of the same name, the official publication of the regional Pacific, North Pacific and Intermountain Yearly Meetings. Published eight times a year, Western Friend magazine was formerly known as Friends Bulletin.
- Friends Journal – an independent magazine serving the Religious Society of Friends.
- What Canst Thou Say? – an independent publication co-operatively produced by Friends with an interest in mystical experience and contemplative practice. One of RFM’s regular attenders is on the editorial board of WCTS.
- Quaker Religious Thought magazine; sponsored by the Quaker Theological Discussion Group
- QuakerBooks of Friends General Conference – publishes and sells books, pamphlets, ebooks, curricula, etc. that serve Quaker values.
- Pendle Hill Books – publisher of Quaker-themed books; associated with a Quaker retreat center of the same name.
- Tract Association of Friends – Society of Friends’ literature; mostly short works
Retreat Centers and Summer Camps
- Ben Lomond Quaker Center – a self-service conference and retreat center with simple, comfortable and modestly-priced accommodations, located outside Santa Cruz, CA.
- Pendle Hill – A Quaker retreat and conference center in Pennsylvania.
Western Regional Quaker Organizations
- College Park Quarterly Meeting – a quarterly gathering of unprogrammed Monthly Meetings of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) in the Northern California and Northern Nevada region, including Reno Friends Meeting.
- Pacific Yearly Meeting – a regional organization that hosts an annual gathering of Friends from the Pacific region including California, Nevada, Hawaii, Mexico and Guatemala. PYM provides guidance and oversight to the Reno Friends Meeting.
- Indigenous Concerns Subcommittee of Pacific Yearly Meeting – formed to inform and support the PacYM community as it seeks to uncover the history and ongoing impacts of colonization in and on both Indigenous and Quaker communities, increase awareness of Indigenous peoples’ struggles and joys both within and outside our Quaker communities, and seek equitable and just partnership among Indigenous and non-Indigenous Peoples. Page includes lists of related resources.
- Committee on Unity with Nature of the Pacific Yearly Meeting – a website with writings by Quakers past and present exploring the concept of unity with nature and reordering our lives toward a more harmonious and Spirit-filled relationship to Creation.
- Faith and Practice – a handbook that provides guidance as to what it means to be a Quaker in the Pacific Yearly Meeting.
- Las Vegas Friends Worship Group – the web site for a small group of Quakers who meet for worship Sundays in Las Vegas NV.
- Friends Meetings in California – links to web sites for monthly Meetings in the state of California.
National ANd INTERNATIONAL Quaker Organizations
- Quaker.org – a very comprehensive list of Quaker-related links from the Religious Society of Friends and a good place to begin any search for or about the Quakers.
- Friends General Conference (FGC) is an association of regional Quaker organizations mostly in the U.S. and Canada, that provides resources for those interested in the Quaker way.
- Friends World Committee for Consultation – an umbrella organization for the 400,000+ Friends around the world.
- Quaker Earthcare Witness – a network of North American Friends (Quakers) and other like-minded people who are taking spirit-led action to address the ecological and social crises of the world, emphasizing Quaker process and testimonies. Hosts monthly online worship sharing with focus on a question of the month.
- The Quaker Universalist Fellowship – a gathering of Friends who work to foster understanding among Quakers, and people from the diverse spiritual cultures which flourish in our globalized human community.
- A Quaker Call to Action – a group of Quakers concerned about threats to democracy in the U.S.
- American Friends Service Committee – a Nobel Peace Prize-winning Quaker organization that promotes social justice, peace, and humanitarian service worldwide. AFSC hosts regular webinars; register at the website.
- Friends Committee on National Legislation – a Washington, DC-based Quaker lobby for peace and justice. Holds regular virtual events; register at the website.
- Native American issues, news, and action items, at FCNL
- Friends Association for Higher Education – seeks to strengthen the Quaker mission in higher education, in part by supporting the Friends’ ideal of integrating spiritual commitment, social responsibility and academic excellence. Its site includes this list of its member colleges and universities.
- Quaker Institute for the Future – Advancing a global future of inclusion, social justice and ecological integrity through participatory research and discernment. A Reno Friends Meeting attender is a board member.
- Friendly Water for the World is a Quaker non-profit that seeks to provide clean water, health education and more in vulnerable communities around the world.
- Evangelical Friends International – a global organization supporting an alternative, more Christ-centered version of Quakerism organized not in meetings but in more than 1,100 churches representing more than 140,000 Evangelical Friends in 24 countries.