AT THIS TIME, OUR MEETING HOUSE IS CLOSED FOR GATHERINGS, BUT WE ARE SITTING FOR SILENT WORSHIP IN THE GARDEN SUNDAY MORNINGS AT 9:30 AM. WE ARE ALSO MEETING ON ZOOM FOR VARIOUS ACTIVITIES. The First Day School is also closed, but you can contact the teacher if you plan to bring children. Please consult the May Newsletter (under RFM News) on this website for updates, changes and details.
For Garden Worship, please follow these guidelines:
Bring your own (camp or beach) chair. (If you need a chair, come early and a sanitized chair will be provided).
Place your chair 6 feet away from others not living in your household.
Wear a mask. (If you need a mask, we will have disposable masks available.) We ask that you wear the mask during worship, afterthoughts and departure.
The Meeting House is open for bathroom use only. Please enter one at a time through the back door (north side of building). Use the hand sanitizer by the door before entering and wash your hands thoroughly in the bathroom before leaving.
After worship, we invite you to remain seated to speak with others (you can rearrange chairs 6 feet apart if you wish). Please keep your mask on. If you choose to stand, please stand 6 feet apart. As you exit, please don’t congregate and continue to maintain social distance.
We cannot offer hospitality at this time. Please do not bring food or drink to share.
Online Silent Worship can be found at Ben Lomond Quaker Center every morning from 7:30-8 am. Go to: http://www.quakercenter.org/
Welcome to Reno Friends Meeting and the Quaker Community of Northern Nevada and Lake Tahoe, located at 497 Highland Ave. near the campus of the University of Nevada Reno.
Our Meeting is a gathering place for Quakers and those of all faiths drawn to the Quaker tradition of silent worship and to Quaker values such as simplicity, community, integrity, nonviolence, equality and harmony with nature.
Each Sunday morning at 10, we come together for an hour of silent worship, followed by time for sharing reflections and for fellowship. Once a month we gather after silent worship for a potluck lunch.
We welcome visitors and newcomers, and we offer a fun and educational First Day School program for children. Please consider joining us on an upcoming Sunday, or for another event on our Calendar.
Here’s a guide to our site:
- Stay in touch with what’s happening at Reno Friends by visiting our Calendar or viewing our monthly newsletter at RFM News.
- If you want to find our Meeting House or reach us by phone or email, visit the Find/Contact Us page. We are just north of downtown Reno and east of University of Nevada Reno at 497 Highland Ave. in Reno.
- Each month we explore a different facet of our Meeting, of Quaker practices and testimonies, or of life in general in Our Blog.
- All About Reno Friends offers a window into the Quaker community in Northern Nevada. Quakers call their faith communities “meetings”; those communities meet in what are known as meeting houses.
- First-time visitors may find it helpful to read What Happens During Sunday Services. Or try our light-hearted Might You Be a Quaker? checklist!
- All About Quakers is full of information about the Religious Society of Friends, a worldwide movement of diverse theological views and experience that has its roots in 17th-century English Protestantism. Quaker is a nickname for the Friends.
Welcome to Our Meeting House!
This is the web site for the Reno Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends, a Nevada not-for-profit corporation. Since our formal title is a mouthful, we use the name Reno Friends Meeting in day-to-day conversation. We use the term Quakers interchangeably with Friends.
If you have any questions or comments about the Reno Friends, please e-mail us at clerk (at) renofriends.org . E-mail is the quickest, most reliable way to reach us. We check our phone, (775) 329-9400, periodically, but not frequently (we are an entirely volunteer organization).
If you have any problems with or suggestions for our web site, please email webmaster (at) renofriends.org . Thank you ahead of time for your help!